April 25, 2017
Dear Stonegate Elementary Families and Staff,
During the April 6, 2017 regularly scheduled Board of Education meeting the Washington Unified School District (WUSD) Trustees reviewed the request by Stonegate Elementary staff to rename the school or facility in honor of long-time West Sacramento resident and beloved WUSD educator, Carla Marquez.
It was recommended by the WUSD Board of Trustees that a committee be convened to begin the process. It will be the committee’s responsibility to provide the WUSD Board of Trustees options to consider in memorializing the legacy of Carla Marquez. Renaming a school from a previous community process will involve comprehensive planning, a detailed process and community involvement ensuring that all stakeholders are represented. Establishing a memorial (such as dedicating buildings, parts of buildings, fields, gardens or other district facilities) may be a shorter process but will still be inclusive of the community.
The WUSD Board of Trustees are inviting any and all members of the community interested in participating in this committee to please send an email request to the Superintendent’s Administrative Assistant, Ashley Morera-Gonzalez at firstname.lastname@example.org expressing your interest. Please be sure to include the following information:
Our goal is to ensure the committee is representative of staff and community members. The deadline to apply for participation is Friday, May 12, 2017. The committee will be limited to 10 participants and is expected to convene multiple times over the next four months, depending on the committee’s determination of renaming the school or establishing a memorial as outlined in policy. The committee is expected to review feedback received from stakeholders in the community as well as prepare options for recommendations to the Board of Trustees at a future regularly scheduled Board of Education meeting.
Linda C. Luna
Should I keep my child home or send him/her to school?
Your child should stay home if:
- Fever of 100.4 or higher
- Has more than one episode of vomiting or diarrhea
- Your child is unable to participate in school due to:
- Being tired
- Lack of appetite
- Frequently coughing or sneezing
- Severe sore throat – especially if the sore throat is accompanied by a headache, stomach ache, or rash. If your child has these symptoms, call your doctor. The child may have strep throat without a fever.
24 hour rule:
- Keep your child home until his/ her fever has been home for 24 hours without medicine.
- Keep your child home until 24 hours after the last episode of vomiting or diarrhea
- Keep your child home until 24 hours after the first dose of antibiotics